CARPENTER / PAINTER
- National Arts Centre (NAC)
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Job ID : 31913
- Category : Construction
- Job Type : Full-Time
- Salary : $56,696 Annually
- Anticipated Start Date : 2021-10-11
- Posting Date : 24 Sep 2021
- Expiry Date : 24 Oct 2021
Competition number: J0921-0828
Status: Full-time, 6-month contract
Hours: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
Annual/hourly salary: $56,696 / year, per PSAC collective agreement
Closing date: September 26, 2021
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
The NAC recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon receipt of written confirmation that the selected candidate has been fully vaccinated. Certified medical conditions will be accommodated as well as exemptions based on established religious objection.
The above information will be filed in keeping with the Privacy Act.
Canada is our stage.
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety. The Centre also invests and nurtures in our next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada. Our vision is to lead and support the renewal of the Canadian performing arts sector over the next three years, as detailed in The Next Act, the NAC’s strategic plan for 2020-2023. Through collaboration and investment in creation, production, co-production, and dissemination, along with a heightened focus on community engagement, learning, and innovation, the NAC will shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada.
Under the supervision of the Maintenance Manager, the Carpenter/Painter does the following work: uses hand and power tools; calculates and lays out projects; performs millwork and joinery; erects steel and wood framing; does interior and exterior finishing; applies wall coverings, paint and other finishes to the interior and exterior surface of buildings; installs doors, windows and hardware components including electronics and display work; builds stairs and counters cupboards; lays flooring; erects scaffolding and installs suspended ceilings; and performs locksmith duties. The incumbent also performs emergency work and performs other tasks, as requested.
- Successful completion of secondary school education;
- Licensed carpenter or cabinet maker with a valid certificate of qualification;
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in plant maintenance construction or other similar carpentry/cabinet-maker work experience;
- Painting and coating experience;
- Good organizational skills, initiative and autonomy;
- Ability to follow directions and work with limited supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure and to react quickly in emergency situations;
- Must be friendly, upbeat, and work well with other employees and be able to interact with guests;
- Must be able to stand & exert well paced mobility for up to 8 hours;
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks;
- WHMIS training a definite asset and will be required upon hire;
- Asset: ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both official languages (English and French);
- A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement.*
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
How to Apply
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email and interviews via videoconferencing. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your resume including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume online through our ‘Careers Opportunities’ website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
No views yet