Gitsegukla Band is seeking a dynamic individual to join its team as Housing Coordinator.
Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Housing Coordinator will directly perform and support the priorities and tasks of the Housing Department, including the development and administration of the On-Reserve Housing Management Program for Gitsegukla First Nation. The Housing Coordinator will also support general administrative duties associated with rent management, policy development and implementation, as well as funding administration and sourcing.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Development and Implementation
- Maintains and recommends updates to the Housing Policy and any related policies and procedures as directed by the Housing Manager.
- Monitors the administration of, and compliance to, the Housing Policy, National Building Code of Canada, and Safety Standards and Procedures on behalf of the Housing Manager.
- Respectfully responds to community members questions and concerns about the Housing Policy.
- Prepares communication and supports notification to community members of changes to the Housing Policy as required.
Sourcing and Financial Management
- Assists the Housing Manager to monitor, track and reconcile approved budgets.
- Identifies various funding sources for housing projects in the community.
- Assists the Housing Manager to develop applications for funding for housing projects
Housing Program Administration
- Assists the Housing Manager in planning and implementing new housing and rental construction, including capital housing, project submissions to ISC and CMHC, loan documentation, BCRs, subsidy documents, Ministerial Guarantees, all permits and other related documentation and applications.
- Manages or oversees the development and maintaining of an inventory of all on-reserve housing assets (ASAP record keeping) that includes but may not be limited to information on: income, expenses, inspections, agreements, requests, complaints, rent collection and insurance
- Assists the Housing Manager in the administration of Gitsegukla-owned housing mortgages, as required.
- Main liaison between Band Administration and Tenants of Band-owned homes and other community members on matters related to the Gitsegukla Housing Management Program.
- Coordinates and assists community members in completing tenant applications, repair requests and other housing program related paperwork as required.
- Maintains rent payment records, prepares rent receipts, provides information on rental regime to members and assists Housing Manager in rent collection and enforcement of penalties for rent arrears in accordance with the Housing Policy.
- Maintains a Band-Owned Home Tenant Wait List in accordance with the Housing Policy.
- Manages the administration of the Gitsegukla tenant eviction policy as approved and in consultation with the Housing Manager.
- Coordinates response to requests for housing maintenance and repairs for Tenants of Band-owned homes and conducts appropriate follow-up with the Public Works team to ensure issues are addressed.
- Maintains records of all maintenance and repairs requests and completed maintenance and repairs.
- Keeps current on all related Housing and Rental standards and regulations and assists the Housing Manager to ensure the Housing Program is administered in accordance with approved policy, requirements of the funding agencies and related regulations and housing building standards.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a housing information library including housing FAQs, newsletters updates and various reports for the use of Gitsegukla Administration, Housing Committee and Gitsegukla Membership.
Housing Committee Administration
- Prepares materials (agendas, reports, meeting minutes) for Housing Committee meetings and attends meetings as required by the Housing Manager.
- Assists in ensuring that the affairs of the Housing Committee are administered, as approved.
- Coordinates the advertising of call outs for Housing Committee Member Application periods to community members and coordinates the review of Housing Committee Member Applications.
- Coordinates the review of the Terms of Reference for the Gitsegukla First Nation Housing Committee in accordance with the Housing Policy.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of ISC and CMHC Housing Programs.
- A comprehensive and progressive understanding of First Nations community needs, culture, language and customs, including demonstrating and modeling cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Promote and support a positive working environment aligned with the culture and values of the Gitsegukla First Nation and all related human resource legislation and regulations.
- Exceptional integrity and professionalism, including maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and manage workload and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong team player with excellent team building skills
- Effective written and oral communications skills to effectively deal with staff, membership and service providers
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to work flexible hours
Experience and Education Requirements:
- High school degree or equivalent, and related Post-Secondary Certificate(s) or Diploma (Administration, Property Management, Building/Property Maintenance) preferred.
- Experience working with ISC, CMHC, and other related Provincial and Federal Agencies considered an asset.
- Experience working with First Nations, preferably with responsibilities in a housing management role.
- Experience in proposal writing, contract management and financial management
- A minimum of 2+ years of related experience, ideally in a First Nations organization, with experience in 2 of the following areas:
Housing or building programs
Planning and coordination of assets including building, property, public works and road maintenance and repair
Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required.
How to Apply
All interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume outlining the position you are applying for and how you meet these qualifications to the c/o: MNP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call 204.789.3088 for technical difficulties with submission of your application.
Applications are assessed as they are received therefore early application is recommended.
Applications will only be considered from those eligible to work in Canada. All applicants who require a work permit or sponsorship for employment in Canada will not be considered.
Candidates who meet the above criteria will be contacted for an interview. Proof of certifications will be required prior to employment.
No views yet